In 1678, Louis XIV ordered the creation in Montpellier of a general hospital for the poor and needy on the site of the Carmelite convent. The chapel assigned to the hospital, dedicated to Saint Charles, was enlarged and reworked by Jean Giral in 1751 then Jacques Nogaret. It has a very particular plan: its two levels of grandstands, corresponding to the floors of the hospital, allowed the residents to attend the services on the same level! Classified as a Historic Monument in 1947, the chapel now hosts rehearsals for the city’s choirs and concerts open to the public.
Chapelle Saint-Charles
-
Localisation
Place Albert 1er, 34000 Montpellier, Hérault, Occitanie, France
-
À propos