Guided tour of 13th century murals

  • Favourite

  • Guided tour

  • Exceptionnal opening

  • Theme : Heritage at Risk: Revive, Resist, Reimagine

  • In situ

  • tout-public

  • Free of charges

  • monument-historique

  • Castel, palace, manor house

  • Date

  • Habitat Jeunes Montpellier

    3 rue de la Vieille, 34000 Montpellier, Hérault, Occitanie, France

©Habitat Jeunes Montpellier

The Ostal des Carcassonne, a 13th–14th century residence, stands at the corner of the streets of La Vieille and La Draperie Rouge. It is a manor house composed of three bodies of buildings assembled in U around a central courtyard, and dominated by a large square tower. This is the only specimen of a medieval «Maison tour» surviving in Montpellier.
It was built by the Carcassonne family. It houses a room whose paintings tell the life of Saint Eustache, patron saint of drapers.
The house was acquired in 1660 by Pierre de Gayon, advisor in the Cour des comptes aide finances, and renovated in 1661 by the mason Jean Savy, who retains most of the original structure, mainly altering the appearance of the facades and creating a new staircase.
The building is now owned by the association Habitat Jeunes Montpellier and houses young workers.
The paintings of the «painted room» were only discovered in 1999 during redevelopment work. They have been restored with the participation of DRAC, the city of Montpellier, the department of Hérault and the Occitanie region.

Informations

Free. Reservation required.

Habitat Jeunes Montpellier

©I. Romieu
  • Localisation

    3 rue de la Vieille, 34000 Montpellier, Hérault, Occitanie, France

  • Téléphone

    0668841141

  • À propos

    The Ostal des Carcassonne, a 13th–14th century residence, rises at the corner of the streets of La Vieille and Draperie Rouge. It is a seigneurial house composed of three bodies of buildings assembled in U around a central courtyard, and dominated by a large square tower. This is the only surviving example of a medieval «Tower House» in Montpellier. It originally belonged to a family of drapers, the Carcassonne. It houses a room whose paintings tell the life of Saint Eustache, patron saint of the drapers. The house was acquired in 1660 by Pierre de Gayon, adviser in the Court of Auditors helps finance, and renovated in 1661 by the mason Jean Savy, who retains the essential of the original structure, mainly reshaping the appearance of the facades and creating a new staircase. The building is now owned by the Habitat Jeunes Montpellier association, and houses young workers. The paintings of the «painted room» were only discovered in 1999 during renovation work. They were restored in late